Six sunscreens from three totally different manufacturers have been recalled by Australia’s medication regulator after a chemical that may trigger most cancers was detected.
Six sunscreen merchandise have been recalled in Australia because of the detection of low ranges of benzene, which is a chemical that may trigger most cancers in people.
As sunscreens are regulated as medicines in Australia, the Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued the recall.
Brands affected embody Cancer Council, Nivea, Bondi Sands and Baby Bum.
Only the next batches are being recalled:
● Cancer Council Sensitive Sunscreen SPF50+ 110mL (Tube), batch quantity 1103178
● Cancer Council Sensitive Sunscreen SPF50+ 200mL (Pump), batch quantity 1099751
● NIVEA Sun Protect & Moisture SPF30 Lotion 200ml, batch quantity 12640440-BN
● NIVEA Sun Protect & Moisture SPF50+ Roll On 65ml, batch quantity 12669940BN
● SPF 50+ Lotion Spray Coconut Beach 200ml, batch numbers 104263, 1104743 and 1104264
● Baby Bum Mineral SPF50+ Lotion 88mL, batch numbers N1118B and N1118C
The TGA warned different merchandise could also be added to the recall as investigations continued.
“Benzene is a chemical that can cause cancer in humans, depending on the level and length of exposure,” the recall discover learn.
“Benzene is not an ingredient in sunscreens but can be a contaminant in raw materials used in the manufacturing process.
“It has been detected in one batch of a raw material used in the manufacture of a number of products and the TGA is working with affected companies to confirm if benzene is present in their medicines and if it is, how much is there.”
It famous that publicity on the ranges detected wouldn’t be anticipated to trigger critical hostile well being results and the danger to sunscreen customers was thought of low.
However, the merchandise have been recalled to make sure shopper security.
Benzene ranges in sunscreens bought in Australia should be beneath two components per million.
You can return the merchandise listed to the place you bought them for a refund, and anybody with considerations about benzene is instructed to talk to their physician.
Last yr, three different sunscreen merchandise have been recalled over the potential presence of benzene.
Banana Boat recall (all batches with an expiry date of thirty first January 2024 or earlier):
● Banana Boat Ultra Very High Protection Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 50+, AUST L 206508
● Banana Boat Simply Protect Kids Very High Protection Sunscreen Lotion Spray SPF 50+, AUST L 311003
● Banana Boat Dry Balance Very High Protection Clear Sunscreen Spray SPF 50+, AUST L 342636.
Neutrogena recall (all batches with an expiry date of thirtieth August 2023 or earlier):
● Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist Sunscreen Spray SPF 50+ (aerosol sunscreen), AUST L 202301
Originally revealed as Six sunscreens recalled over potential cancer-causing chemical